Decided it was time to give my over grown grapevine’s some pruning. They were showing a couple of diseases and the small newly forming grapes were getting smothered. I looked online and realized just how to prune the grapevines is a matter of some controversy so I decided to attack them in 2 stages. First I decided to remove all the diseased leaves, one disease on one vine and a second disease on one other vine. Here are a couple of pictures of the diseased leaves.
The above disease ended up turning the leaves fully purple and killed the leaves. I can’t find it described on searches for grapevine disease. The below disease is possibly grapevine erinose mite.
Next up was pruning the vines to let more air & light around the new forming grapes. This out of control mess is what the grapevines looked like to start with.
Here’s the other side.
I started pruning the grapevines with the theory of of cutting the vines 3 leaves past where the grapes were forming. I must have removed at least a third of the foliage by the time I’d finished. I also revealed more diseased leaves which I removed. Below are what they looked like after my stage 1 pruning.
The other side of the grapevines below.
I left the grapevines for a few days to see that they were still growing ok then took a closer look for newly forming grapes and did a bit more pruning to reveal more of the little grapes so that they have space to grow.
The grapevines seem to be doing ok although I did find just 1 leave that had what I think may be spider mites with a little cluster of eggs which I removed.
I will keep a closer look out for these little spider mites in the future. Next job on the allotment is to start building the south facing greenhouse.