This is the state of my allotment so far. When I first took the allotment over last autumn it had a lot of junk on it so I gave the previous tenant a couple of months to clear off the junk and cut down & remove some willow trees he was growing as well. I picked this plot based on the fact that it was on relatively level ground and not sloping down hill to the north like over plots that were available. Here’s what the allotment plot first looked like.
Even after the previous tenant removed the old junk it still required a lot of work. I also decided to keep the row of established red and green grapes. I will be looking into making my own wine after speaking to another allotment tenant who also grows grapes.
In planning out how to used my square plot I took into account the fact that it sits at a 45 degree angle to south. and decided to build a triangular shed with a long south facing side.
Although I spent £250 on wood and fixings I’m trying to mostly find wood and allotment accessories for free. This I why the shed build process is taking longer than expected as I transport pallets in my car to break down and cut wood to fill the gaps in the panels. I treat all exterior wood with cheap one coat shed / fence stain I found for £7.99 for 10 liters in The Range. The roof is skinned with thin ply at present but will be strengthened and felted eventually. Wanting to protect the wood I brought as much as possible I built the shed frame on some old fence posts I got for free.
This is what it looks like at present. I’m getting there but the 1.3ah batteries that power my cordless circular saw don’t power it for very long so cutting the wood to fill the gaps is a slow process but I’m almost there. I’ve become a big fan of my local freecycle group. I got an old pine door for free to use as one of the shed doors but not fitted it yet. I also got 2 large composting bins as well. No luck yet getting hold of some water butts but that’s not really an issue till I’ve got the roof finished and some guttering fitted to catch the water.
Eventually along the 17 feet long edge will be a south facing greenhouse. I hope to complete all this through the summer as I get hold of as much free stuff as possible. As for the rest of the allotment I have planted potatoes, runner beans, peas, carrots, cabbage, brussel sprouts and cauliflower so I can actually start learning how to ‘grow stuff’.
It won’t be the biggest yield this year but by the start of next years growing season I should have freed up more space on the allotment as my shed / south facing greenhouse build should be completed. After all you’ve got to start some where! While I wait for what I’ve planted to germinate the grapes are starting to bud during the recent week of sunny weather.