Last Sunday I finally had time to spend a full day working on the allotment and get some things done. I finally got some doors on the shed, wombled from freecycle. I found that part of the shed had settled a bit on the ground and the door frame wasn’t as straight as when I first built it but the doors still fitted.
The second picture shows a door locked from the inside as it will eventually lead into my south facing greenhouse when built. The grapes are growing nicely, I also put up an extra support wire for them along the top of the posts.
The King Edward potatoes are starting to grow too, but many are not through yet so I have no idea how many will actually grow. I’m trying to be careful when I hoe in case I hit one just coming through the surface.
I sharpened my dutch hoe with a file to make it a bit more efficient at cutting the weeds off.
Finally it was time to tackle some of the long grass that was getting out of hand. I’ve not been able to get hold of a cheap second hand petrol strimmer yet so I had to improvise. I got hold of a little Bosch Isio 3.6v trimmer but it wasn’t fit for purpose so I decided to strip it apart and turbo boost it with a 10ah 6v battery. It works a treat and will do for now.
I still need to skin the shed and felt the roof as it’s still letting in some water, I’m hoping to do that next week but this afternoon I’ll be tackling more of the long grass and composting it with browns consisting of shredded cardboard.